
After lots of paperwork, an interview, blood tests (I think they tested me for every disease known to man), documents from both my OB and RDH's pediatrician, I qualified to become a breastmilk donor. I figured that sick little preemie babies, whose moms cant breastfeed or whose milk hasn't come in and cant tolerate formula because they are so fragile needed this WAY more than 15 month old RDH. We now have our freezer back and RDH is perfectly fine drinking regular milk (when I can force it in him.....but that I will save for a whole other post) at this point. Anyone who is interested in this - it is a great organization in Central Texas, headquartered in Austin called The Mother's Milk Bank.
www.milkbank.org. I first found out about the place through Junior League before I even had children and thought it was such a wonderful concept. I know personally with both kids, my milk took 4 days to come in......and my children lost a lot of weight.....but still they were fine and gained quickly once my milk did come in (because as you can see - once it comes in - I have a lot!). Babies that are born early weighing only 1-2 pounds, cant wait 4 days or longer for breastmilk and their tummies cannot process formula at this point. Donor milk is what helps them get strong in those first few critical days. If you can, please consider donating!
Ahh, I was wondering why formula wasn't an option.. I didn't realize situations of sick premature babies that can't handle formula. I am even more impressed with your donation! And that you had that much leftover! You go girl! :)
ReplyDeleteGood job! Can I ask how much you gave? Good for you! And yes, how is RDH doing with the cow milk?
ReplyDeleteYeah.....when a baby is born really early (at like 28 weeks) its digestive system is so immature, formula is not an option, so they have to rely on donor milk until their mommies can produce milk, or sometimes indefinitely until they get stronger if their mommies dont produce milk, or dont produce enough milk....or have a condition (such as AIDS) that procludes them from breastfeeding altogether.
ReplyDeleteRachel - I gave about 250 ounces. I think the minimum donation that you have to commit to to donate is 100-150 ounces. They wont take milk older than a year post partum because I guess when the baby turns a year old, the milk you produce contains much less nutrition than before a year.....which I found interesting....I guess that is why doctors encourage breastfeeding for the first year.