To celebrate the best 12 months of my life, here are my top 12 surprises/new experiences/revelations I had as a new parent over the last year:
1. You can survive on very very little sleep…..it is hard, yet very possible!
2. You will love your children with a deeper love than you ever thought possible.
3. It is possible to withstand being thrown up on, pooped on, slobbered on, sneezed on, and have boogers rubbed all over you, yet still wear a smile.
4. The Human Body can produce vast amounts of milk……it is truly remarkable when you think about it. I estimated that I made almost 70 gallons of milk for August…..wow – that is a lot! Yes I am an accountant; sorry I just had to go there with the numbers.
5. It takes a village to raise a child….we know this very well, as August needed his grandmothers a lot through out this year to care for him when he got sick at daycare and to take care of him for the first 3 months I was back at work. I also needed all of my family and friends for advice! Thank you to all my aunts and my wonderful mommy friends: Jenny, Amy G, Aimee, Chrissy, Leslie, Shelly, Rachel, Stephanie, Heather, Amanda, Holly, Miranda, Kelly, Lyndsey, Kim, and Michele (and I am sure I am leaving people off.....sorry please refer to point number 1). If I didn’t have you all to bounce ideas off of, talk through milestones with, and seek advice from, I don’t know what I would have done!!! Here’s to the toddler years, I am sure there will be lots more questions from me headed your way!
6. It is possible to have 10 outfit changes in a day – especially if your child has a stomach bug.
7. Two very brown eyed people can have one very blue eyed baby! August’s eyes are very blue and he is a year, so they are done changing….in fact they have only gotten lighter from when he was born. Both Richard and I have lots of blue eyes in our families, but I would not have guessed our son would have bright baby blues.
8. I never knew so many childhood viruses existed. And now that I know what Hand Foot and Mouth feels like……I am hoping that one gives you lifetime immunity.
9. The emergency room isn’t as scary as I imagined it would be at a Children’s Hospital……and there are some very kind, caring doctors and nurses out there.
10. Tylenol works wonders
11. Children work according to their own clock.
12. Taking a rectal temperature is not really that bad
The pictures above are from when I got home from the airport. Tonight August' grandparents are coming over. My mom has made a very special cake for August.....so stay tuned for cake pics!







Augie, what a year your mom has put in a few words. You are the bright spot in our lives and no words can describe how much you are loved. Mom did a very good account of your first year. You are so lucky to have the mom and dad you have and the extended family who will always be here for you. Happy Birthday again Sweet Boy. We love you. God Bless you with another great year ahead. Love and Prayers, Aunt Lynne & Uncle Bob
ReplyDelete