Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sleep Training

Now that August is doing so well in his big boy bed, I have decided to move RDH to the crib in the nursery and sleep train him. So far, night 1 is down and it SUCKED!
I hated to start on his birthday, but when it was apparent that he was not going to lay down and go to sleep next to me and it was already 915pm, I decided we were starting. Here is how it went:
915pm - rock for 15 minutes, laid down RDH
cry for 2 minutes
back in at 917 - rock, lay down RDH
cry for 5 minutes
I stretched out the intervals, and finally by 10:30 he was down asleep in his crib
UP screaming at 1:41am. Again we did intervals - getting all the way up to a 20 minute interval before I went in the room. He SCREAMED the entire time until 4am, when I gave up, nursed him and put him in bed with me. Everytime I laid him down he was asleep and would immediately wake up. Poor Richard Dean has to learn to sleep through the night. With August, we had to let him cry it out as well, but it only took about 4 nights and he was only waking up once a night and his longest stretch was only 1 hour. Sigh..... I HATE sleep training, but I dont know what else or how else to do it. I read a book called The No Cry Sleep Solution. It was about how to change a co-sleeping/breastfeeding baby. I thought it was perfect for us, but the methods in there totally did NOT work, so I am trying this. If there are other suggestions out there, I would love to hear them. I hate seeing/hearing him so upset.

5 comments:

  1. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. That is what convinced me. It has been a bit since I read it, but I beleive the author suggests letting them cry it out w/o going in. (Very, very hard I know.) I believe he also said your method works too but takes longer. And I think it takes longer the older the baby is. Stick with it. You can do it! It may help to have Richard go in instead of you as he associates you with breastfeeding. (Plus it will allow you a little more sleep.) It will be worth it to sleep the whole night through! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I tried lots with Haley too. The No Cry book was NO HELP! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a much harder time sleep training Jack than Ava. Now he sleeps great. Ava who was easy to sleep train is in our bed every night in the middle of the night now. Go figure. Good luck! It sucks, but this too will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachel, I have that Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby and we used that on August and it worked! RDH is just so much more co- dependent than August was, so I think I need to start with a more gentler approach. wish me luck! 2 nights down now!

    Leslie , thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it! You can do it! You know he will eventually catch on! It will be worth it becasue you can't keep up the old routine forever! Rachel

    ReplyDelete