Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thoughts from a working mom....

Augie is sick, so Mommy is taking over the blog...
I will be so happy when his immune system is stronger and he can fight off all these nasty viruses! I think we have been pretty lucky with Augie, he was not sick once until he was 6 months old.....which also corresponded to when he started daycare. 2 days in daycare and he was hit pretty hard with the croup. Since then - over the past 4 months he has had a stomach virus, a sinus infection, and most recently croup again. Now the croup has turned into a fever and a little labored breathing. I had off yesterday and had a whole day of stuff planned, but with Augie coming down with a fever on Sunday, all my plans were canceled and we spent the morning at the doctors and the afternoon snuggling and playing at home. At our appointment yesterday, Augie had his first breathing treatment with a nebulizer. It was really sad holding that mask over is little face....he kept looking up at me as if he was saying - "what are you doing to me mom?" it was sad. The breathing treatment didn't do anything for him as his oxygen saturation level was 96 before the treatment and 95 after the treatment, so we were sent home without a nebulizer and instructions to just watch over him. He slept well last night and seemed fine this morning and since he did not have a fever all day yesterday, I took him to school. I was at work for an hour before I got a call to pick him up....the fever is back and now he is at home snuggling with Grandma. Thank God for Grandma, or I might not have a job anymore! Between my mom and my mother in law, we have a lot of help which is so nice when August is sick. I hope he gets better soon and this gunk he has doesn't turn into something worse....there are all kinds of bad things going around at the daycare. The doctor was trying to be positive and told me that by the time August gets to kindergarten that he won't miss a day of school because he is building up his immune system now....I think that is something they just tell working moms so that they don't feel bad about their kiddos getting sick in daycare all the time....but if it comes from the doctor, maybe it is true....

3 comments:

  1. I figured something came up as I had not heard from you in a bit! Hope Augie is feeling better soon! Bummer when they are sick! You feel so sorry for them! And it is probably true about kindergarden. I'm sure Haley will have bunch of sickness once she is old enough for preschool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog through a childhood friend of mine... I'm also a working mom, living in Belgium with three small children (5, 3 and 9 months). My two oldest are already going to school, the youngest is also in daycare - they all started "fulltime" at the age of three months and during the first year, year and a half or so of their lives had a cold pretty much non stop and were ill at least once every month! But once they go to school, at least that part of being a working mom (and trying not to be too guilty about it) gets a lot easier, as they are rarely ill anymore... maybe a bit weird to read this from someone you do not even know, but your doctors words are true! Hope your little boy is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - thank you for your supportive comment! I guess there is always "mom guilt" about something! It is nice to have support from other mommys that are trying to balance work outside the home and a family. And you juggle 3! you must be super mom! :-)
    Rachel- I am sure Haley will be just as healthy as Augie when they start school....I think that as kids get older they get stronger immune systems and it isn't just because of what all they get exposed to.....but that is just my theory!

    ReplyDelete